Week 1: MTC




COMPANION: ELDER CALL
AREA: PROVO MISSIONARY TRAINING CENTER
CITY: PROVO
STATE: UTAH
MAILING ADDRESS:
DAMON JOSEPH SMITH
TENNESSEE KNOXVILLE MISSION
PROVO MISSIONARY TRAINING CENTER
2005 NORTH 900 EAST
PROVO UT 84604-1793
Unit #39F

HELLO EVERYBODY!!

This week has been crazy; only a few days in, and it seriously feels like I've been here for about a few weeks. It's really great though. The spirit is SO strong here and I've already learned SO much. I suppose I didn't realize how deep one could dive into the scriptures. And it's SO PRETTY HERE!!!!! The new MTC building is so beautiful. It's got a pretty modern feel; the architecture is designed to let in light, so it's a great learning environment. Plus the pipes there are pretty much brand new so the water in that building tastes about the best I've had in Utah thus far. I'll attach photos of the building later, but for now, I've attached a classic "cheesy smile coupled with you pointing at where you're going on a map as if everyone didn't already know where you were going" picture, a group picture of my zone (Elder Call is to my right; we're both in the middleish of the group). Then, there are a couple of the murals in the new building. The first is of the sons of Mosiah, the second is of Moses. They are HUGE; like an entire wall, probably 10-12 feet tall. They are pretty awesome, and they have LED lights fixed behind them, so they light up and it's just super super awesome.


 ONE MORE THING: DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU HEAR ABOUT MTC FOOD. I have heard TERRIBLE things, but seriously it is not half bad. There's always something to eat, and if you want it, you can get salad and fresh fruit. The problem is that many of the elders don't; they eat cereal at every meal, and then they wonder why they feel terrible all the time. So just make sure that you LOOK for the healthy options (for those of my friends who are soon leaving to serve missions)


Thus begins my story for the week. On Friday (yesterday), our district was in class and we were told we were taking a field trip. We went to the second floor of one of the new buildings, and found a mural of Alma the Younger (I'll get a picture of that one to you either later today, or at the very latest, by next week). It was awesome. Seriously so beautiful, and his example of faith, repentance and restitution seemed all the more inspiring at that moment. This invited the spirit really well, as we were given some personal time to pray and read scriptures there. Then, we went outside and I applied sunscreen because I'm a lil white Washington boi who gets sunburned after exactly .0000003 seconds in the sun. We sat down on some benches and read through the first chapter of 1st Nephi as a group, stopping every few verses to discuss any impressions we got. In verses 6-14, Lehi was visited by God.  much out of that chapter. It was seriously incredible. For example, I hadn't noticed that the Lord appeared to Lehi in "a pillar of fire". RIGHT THERE in the first chapter. We drew a comparison here with the first vision, when Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith. Joseph Smith described the glory of the Lord as being "above the brightness of the sun". Lehi said that his "luster was above that of the sun at noon-day". I thought that was such a testament of the truthfulness of both the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith as a prophet of God.

I will get better at writing these things, I promise. Also, I'll start being able to tell you guys about my experiences teaching investigators in the TRC (Teaching Resource Center). It's also only been like two days. I hope you guys have an awesome day, and an awesome week!

Also, keep in mind, you guys can email me or send me a letter or a DearElder any day of the week, and I'll read it when you send it, but I won't be able to respond until my Preparation Day (Saturday, at least for the next few weeks whilst I reside at the MTC). Anyway, I love you all, thanks for your love and support. My heart is full. I don't know why I am going to Tennessee, but I know why I'm serving a mission, and come what may, I am exceedingly hyped.

Love,

Elder Smith

Comments

Popular Posts